A couple people have asked me for this super yummy recipe, so here it is:
Yield: 1 standard size loaf
2 c flour (or 1 c flour and 1 c soy protein powder)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
.5 c sugar
1 c semisweet chocolate chips (I use milk chocolate and more than a cup)
15 oz pumpkin
2 lg eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbl unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 (325 for glass pan)
2. Mix dry ingredients in bowl
3. Add wet ingredients except chocolate chips (she has you do this in 2 separate bowl and then add the mixed wet ingredients to the dry, but I don’t like to use 2 bowls.)
4. Mix in chocolate chips. (I add a tsp of cinnamon and a tsp of allspice)
5. Transfer to a greased loaf pan. Pat with a knife so that the batter is gently mounded in the center.
6. Bake 45 minutes for pudding-like consistency or 1 hour for drier bread.
7. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then rap the bread sharply to remove the bread. Cool it on a rack for at least another 20 minutes before slicing.
2 thoughts on “Pumpkin-chocolate chip bread from Mollie Katzen’s “Sunlight Cafe””
I love this Mollie Katzen recipe. We use the same one with 2 C banana instead of pumpkin. My teen child needs a balance in the mornings-needs to eat something with substance but not too much sweet nor too much dairy. This has become the just right thing to fill and fuel until lunch. We slice and freeze them for convenient grab-and-go as well.
I bet that’s a yummy substitution! I think my kids would love it, too.